APPOINTMENTS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO CALL OUR OFFICE (not available for online scheduling):
Sexual and Gender Based Violence
- If you have experienced sexual or gender-based violence you can obtain confidential medical attention at student health.
- We can address any physical, mental, and/or emotional concerns that you may have due to an unwanted sexual encounter.
Whether the encounter(s) occurred recently or long ago, we can provide you a range of services. The type of care we provide will depend on when the encounter(s) occurred:
- If the encounter occurred less than 120 hours ago (http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/unwantedLess72.html)
- If the encounter occurred more than 120 hours ago (http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/unwantedMore72.html)
- “Elson Student Health Center & UVA Hospital Emergency Department are the only local healthcare facilities with specially trained nurses who can perform a forensic sexual assault examination.”
- While some students are interested in a forensic sexual assault examination other students may not be interested in this type of exam. Regardless, we can still provide emotional support and counseling, as well as a medical evaluation and treatment.
- Please call our triage nurse to schedule an appointment if you have experienced gender-based violence at 434/924-2773.
Depo Provera 'the shot'
- Depo Provera is birth control injection of a hormone called progestin that lasts for three months.
- An injection is scheduled every 12 weeks.
- If you are interested in learning more about Depo Provera we would be happy to discuss this method with your during a contraceptive counseling visit.
- If you are interested in using Depo for contraception or need to schedule an appointment for an injection, please call our triage nurse at 434/924-2773.
Visits for other gynecologic (GYN) concerns or problems:
We offer evaluation and treatment for many common GYN concerns including, but not limited to:
- Urinary tract infections
- Menstrual concerns (periods that are too frequent, infrequent, irregular or painful)
- Abdominal and pelvic pain
- Breast problems
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Painful sex and other sexual difficulties
- Pregnancy testing
- Preconception counseling
- Please call our triage nurse to schedule an appointment for the above concerns.
- We offer evaluation and treatment for many common GYN concerns including, but not limited to: