All UVA students are eligible for emergency assessments and/or consultation.
Emergencies: (434) 243-5150 or 911
- If you are having thoughts of harming yourself or someone else, or you feel that you are in a crisis and your efforts to manage it have not been not successful, call CAPS at 434-243-5150. If you are in immediate danger of harming yourself or others, or are having a medical emergency, dial 911.
- CAPS crisis and emergency consultation services are available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. During business hours (M-F, 8am-5pm) students can call or walk-in to CAPS and speak to the on-call therapist.
- After business hours, students should call 434-243-5150 to connect with the CAPS after-hours phone service, Fonemed. A registered nurse will assess your mental health concerns and direct you to the most appropriate care.
- Concerns Regarding a Student (other than the caller): If you are concerned about a student, you can call 434-243-5150 twenty-four hours/day, seven days/week and ask to speak with the on-call therapist. Consultation regarding concerns about students is available to UVA students, faculty, administrators, staff, parents, and other concerned community members.
Other Helpful Resources
- Unwanted Sexual Encounter
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255
- Madison House HELPline 434-295-TALK
- Region 10 Emergency Services 434-972-1800
- Sexual Assault Resource Agency (SARA) 434-977-7273
- Office of the Dean of Students 434-924-7133
- How Faculty Can Help