CAPS works to strengthen the UVA community by offering innovative outreach and prevention services including training and education, workshops, programming across Grounds, and clinical consultation. We work closely in partnership with students, faculty, and staff to promote mental health and wellness. As a key part of the CAPS mission, we strive to help create a healthier, more inclusive community where students can thrive and successfully engage with one another.
If you are interested in partnering with CAPS or have questions about how CAPS can help support your particular community on Grounds, please contact the Assistant Director for Outreach, Nicole L. Fischer, PhD
Types of Outreach
Outreach and prevention services may be requested by student groups, academic departments, staff, or other UVA representatives. Some of our more frequently requested topics include:
- Suicide prevention
- How to help students in distress or students of concern
- LGBTQ+ concerns
- International student concerns
- Graduate and Professional School student concerns
- Multicultural student concerns
- Stress management and wellness
- Life adjustments and transitions
- Body Image Issues and Eating Concerns
- Grief and Loss
- Traumatic event debriefings/postventions
How to Make an Outreach Request
- Please submit request form at least two weeks in advance. That will increase the likelihood we are able to accommodate your needs and preferences.
- We will tailor programs to meet the needs of your group. Please provide specific details including goals and objectives. Additionally, the size, level of training, role at the university, academic affiliations, and/or cultural considerations you would like us to consider.
CAPS is a member of the Association for University and College Counseling Center Outreach (AUCCCO).